The Office of Undergraduate Research offers a Semester Research Assistants Program to support faculty members interested in directing undergraduate students conducting research. This program is designed to support both faculty and student engagement and collaboration while pursuing original research and exposing the student to the research process. Faculty will receive $2,000 to pay the student researcher and a $250 stipend for materials. The deadline to apply for spring 2017 funding is January 13, 2017.
- Funding is for one semester only
- Faculty may apply for funding for multiple students, but must complete a separate application per request
- Selected students must be enrolled full-time as an undergraduate student at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville
- Priority should be given to students who have not held a research position previously
- Faculty members who apply for the program must have a teaching or research appointment at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville
Faculty members must submit an application to the Office of Undergraduate Research through the website. A committee will review applications using the following criteria:
- Project abstracts can include the significance of the project, its potential impact on the field of study, its effect on the concepts, methods, technologies, treatments, services or preventive interventions in the field.
- Mentoring strategies and philosophy of the faculty involved.
- Description of how you see this project furthering your research goals.
- Description of why an undergraduate student is necessary for the project and how the student can benefit from the project they will be working.
- Does the project have any external or internal funding? Funding Source?
If approved, it is the faculty member’s job to advertise and promote the position in any way they see appropriate. We recommend the use of Explore, the university’s central database for open UGR positions. Once a student is selected, the faculty member will then send the Office of Undergraduate Research the acceptance letter signed by the faculty and student. This letter will detail the terms of the appointment (sample).
Once the acceptance letter has been sent to the Office of Undergraduate Research, funds will be transferred to the faculty member’s department and the student may start.