The University of Tennessee would like to recognize students who participant in undergraduate research. Through the Office of Undergraduate Research, students may apply to receive a cord or a medallion to be worn during graduation.
There are two levels of recognition: Excellence in Undergraduate Research, receives a cord and Distinction in Undergraduate Research, receives a medallion. A student may earn both recognitions.
Three items from either list will qualify you for the Excellence in Undergraduate Research cord.
Excellence in Undergraduate Research
- EURēCA presentation*
- Discovery Day presentation*
- URSA Symposium Presenter*
- Annual Student Art Competition participant*
- Celebration of Excellence Music Competition participant*
- UTK discipline specific conference presentation of research
- Applicant/Candidate for a national research-focused award*
- ORNL Research Internship*
- Summer Undergraduate Research Internship Award*
- URSA Leadership Position
- Reviewer, Pursuit Journal of Undergraduate Research
- 3 Minutes to Win It valid submission
- Completion of Honors or Scholars Thesis (or planned
completion by graduation)
Two additional items from this list (after obtaining the level of Excellence) will qualify you for a Distinction in Undergraduate Research medallion. Starred items are repeatable through multiple event participation.
Distinction in Undergraduate Research
- Award winner EURēCA (inc luding honorable mention)
- Award Winner Annual Student Art Competition
- Award Winner Celebration of Excellence Music Competition
- Research Abroad (minimum of 8 weeks)
- Author, Pursuit Journal of Undergraduate Research (or article accepted for next issue)*
- Non-UTK discipline specific conference presentation of your research
- Recipient of a national research-focused award*
- Research participant off-campus & non-UTK related experience (excluding ORNL, min 8 weeks)
- Award Winner Undergraduate Awards, Ireland (commended and higher)*
- NCUR Presenter*
- Presenter at Posters at the Capitol, Nashville*
- Presenter at Posters on the Hill, DC*
- Author, Peer Reviewed Publication (or article under review with mentor verification)*
- Recipient of Chancellor’s Award for Undergraduate Research
- 3 Minutes to Win It award winner
Complete the form below to submit your request to receive the cord, medallion, or both.
All information will be verified.
Students may verify what activities have been registered with the Office of Undergraduate Research by previewing their Co-Curricular Transcript (CCT) via myUTK. Under “My Services” there is a “Preview My Co-Curricular Transcript” option.
Application deadline for Fall 2019 graduation is Monday, December 2nd and Spring 2020 graduation is Thursday, April 30. Criteria must be completed by this date to be valid.
Applicants will receive an email once criteria has been verified with further pickup instructions. Additional information may be requested if needed.