Information for students
The Summer Undergraduate Research Group Experience (SURGE) is an eight week summer research experience designed to engage students in faculty mentored research during the summer months. This eight week program features groups of up to eight students who work on research projects led by up to two faculty mentors. These projects offer students a collaborative, often interdisciplinary, research experience based around a central theme, problem or question. Faculty use the first week as an academic orientation, the second week to help the students develop individual or team components of the larger project, and the remaining weeks carrying out the project.
Who can participate?
Half of the program positions will be filled by students from the UT LEAD program. The remaining open positions will be filled by other UT students.
What are the projects?
Interested faculty will propose projects in the fall. The accepted projects will be announced in January and students may begin applying for the positions when they are listed in the spring. Each summer will have a unique set of projects.
View the Summer 2020 SURGE Projects
Will I get paid?
All accepted students will be provided with the following:
- $4000 for full-time summer participation (8 weeks at $500 per week)
- On-Campus Housing if needed
- Food stipend of $75 per week
- Proposed dates: June 1 – July 27, 2020
- Week 1: Orientation to project, and skills/education intensive
- Week 2: Formulation and writing research plans for individual projects within the team
- Week 3: Skill Development, begin research project
- Week 4-7: Project work
- Week 8: Finalizing project, preparing posters
- Accepted students must participate for the full eight weeks of the program
- Priority is given to UT LEAD students, then the remaining positions are filled with other UT students
- Students graduating in May or August 2020 are not eligible.
- Accepted students are required to register for the UT Summer Scholars Program
- All participants are required to present their research at Discovery Day, UT’s fall celebration of research and creative achievement that was conducted over the summer
How to Apply:
Applications are due by Midnight February 12, 2020
** Applications for Summer 2020 are now closed**
**This program is adapted from the Summer Impact Grants program at George Mason University**