Summertime in Knoxville can be a time when students leave campus for part-time jobs or some fun in the sun. Don’t overlook the opportunities that staying on campus and conducting research can present. This page has information for students who have already found a position and those still looking.
Summer Research Internship Program at UTK
The Office of Undergraduate Research funds over 40 undergraduate students to conduct summer undergraduate research under the guidance of a faculty mentor. Students can read more about this program and the application deadlines here.
Already have an undergraduate research position on-campus this summer? (It can be volunteer, paid, or for academic credit.) Register with our office to learn about social and professional development opportunities. All UTK students and those visiting from other schools engaged in undergraduate research activities and creative works are eligible to become Research Scholars — regardless of funding source or formal program affiliation. Register and become a Summer Research Scholar now!
Summer Programs Calendar 2019
Concerts on the square (Market Square):Things To Do Around Knoxville 2018:
- Free concert every Thursday night 7-9 pm, May 10-June 28 hosting a variety of music genres (blues, Americana, soft rock, country)
- Free concert every Tuesday night 8-10 pm, May 1-August 28 (Jazz)
First Friday ArtWalk (Market Square/Downtown): July 6th, free and open to the public with a free Artwalk trolley providing transportation
- Description: Explore galleries, studios, and artist collectives; roam through shops hosting open houses and local artist exhibits; enjoy performance art and live music in the streets and a variety of venues; drop in restaurants along the way and treat yourself to drinks and great food.
- Wednesdays 11-2 pm
- Saturdays 9-2 pm
Big Kahuna Wing Festival (World’s Fair Park): June 16th, $20 ticket in advance, $25 at the gate. Ticket includes 25 wings of your choice
- Pace Bike Riding: Pace Bikes: $1/30 mins. Free $5 in rides with use of referral code from a friend. Greenways provide great trails for scenery and exercise. Free $10 in rides with promo code visitknoxville
- Copper Cellar: Sundays and Mondays 9 pm
- Fieldhouse Social (Campus Commons): Tuesdays and Wednesdays 7 pm
- Calhoun’s on the River: Tuesdays 7 pm
- Drakes: Sundays and Mondays 8 pm
- Sunspot: Sundays 7 pm
- Scruffy City Hall: Monday 8 pm
- Mellow Mushroom: Wednesday 8pm
- Cool Beans Bar and Grill: Thursdays 9 pm)
- The Half Barrel: Thursdays 9 pm
- Bullfeathers: Monday-Thursday 10 pm; Fridays and Saturdays 8 pm
- Asia Café: Fridays and Saturdays 8pm- 12am
- Cool Beans Bar and Grill: Thursdays 9 pm
**Downtown parking is free after 6 pm**
Additional Summer Research Programs at UT
These are organized programs offering multiple students the opportunity to conduct research, typically funding through a federal or state grant. Some programs are open to non-UT students too.
Individual Faculty Programs at UT
Many faculty sponsor summer research assistants through their own funds or existing grants. UT students look in the EXPLORE! database. Non-UT students can contact faculty directly to gauge their interest.
External Opportunities (non-UT)
View our external opportunities page.