***Due to COVID-19, summer research housing is not available for summer 2020***
The University of Tennessee offers summer housing for UT and non-UT college students conducting research at UT and ORNL.
Housing is available on first come, first serve basis until rooms are filled. We recommend you apply as soon as you are notified of your internship acceptance.
- Contracts can start as early as May 17th, 2020. All summer intern contracts end on August 1st, 2020. Your requested start and end dates will be approved/not approved before you commit to the contract.
- No access to any campus facilities other than those described below.
- Students must be 18 or older.
- Students must be enrolled in a bachelor’s or master’s degree program or have graduated in the preceding May.
- Students wishing to park vehicles on campus will also need to purchase a parking permit from the Parking and Transit Office for approximately $105 (covers the entire summer).
- Daily bus service to ORNL will be available. To track the location of the bus, please download the University’s mobile app. For further information, please go to http://ridethet.utk.edu.
- ORNL Bus Route 2019 (2020 Route/Schedule TBD)
Laurel Hall – Apartment Style
- On-campus, off Laurel Avenue.
- 2 bedroom, 1 bath apartment with 1 person per bedroom.
- Common living room and kitchen in each apartment.
- Laundry room located on site
- Will have access to recreation/lounge rooms
- The 2020 rate is $22.73 per day ($159.12) per week per student plus a 9.25% sales tax and includes all utilities and internet.
- You must bring your own linens, pots, pans, and kitchen supplies.
- Each apartment is furnished with:
- Full XL in double private apartment
- Mattresses with nylon covers
- Desk chairs
- Garbage disposal
- Kitchen table and chairs
- Recycling bin
- Trash can
- Students in summer research housing will have the opportunity to participate in social activities and professional development activities during the evening hours in the dorm. A schedule of activities will be posted including workshops on how to apply for the NSF GRFP, a Graduate School Social Hour, and a trip to the campus planetarium. These programs are optional for ORNL students but may be required for some REU students.
- Social activities include student-organized sports teams, and student-led excursions around Knoxville and the surrounding area.
- Students are eligible for discounted tickets to local attractions from the Campus Ticket Office.
- Students have access to recreation facilities (TRECS). The cost is $30 for one month, $57 for two months, $84 for three months (prices are subject to change for summer 2020). In order to have access to the facility, you must have a Special Function ID card (cost is $6.50). If you would like to have access to the TRECS during your stay on campus, you must fill out the Special Function ID Request Form sent to you with your Housing Agreement.
- For students in UT programs providing housing, your department will be billed.
- For other students, you will need to pay for the entirety of your stay upon arrival.
If you are ready to sign up, complete the interest form below. Serious inquires only. Limited space available – completing the form does not guarantee housing. For more information and further photos of the rooms, please go to http://housing.utk.edu/.