Oak Ridge National Lab has several internship opportunities for undergraduates. Each year over 100 UT students participate in programs such as the DOE SULI and ORNL HERE programs.
In order to further promote research and utilize our unique partnership with a world-class research institution, our office is funding an additional UTK program with multiple paid 10-week summer research internships at ORNL.
Students interested in the UTK program are highly suggested to submit a DOE SULI application first and are required to also have an active ORNL HERE application. Selections for the UT funded program will be made after the majority of SULI and HERE appointments have been announced. The new UT program is meant to supplement, not replace, existing ways students access the laboratory.
Once you create an application in the ORNL Zintellect system, you will not have to re-enter your profile information for the UTK program. The system will remember you. You will only have to fill in questions specific to the UTK program.
About the Internship
Students will work alongside a mentor during a 10-week internship from June 3 – August 9, 2019. Internships may take place on ORNL’s main campus, Hardin Valley campus, or at ORNL research related facilities on the UT Knoxville campus. Successful applicants are selected to work in labs that best fit their research area of interest. You will work in one of six research divisions at ORNL:
- Computing and Computational Sciences
- Energy and Environmental Sciences
- National Security
- Neutron Sciences
- Nuclear Science and Engineering
- Physical Sciences
You will receive a $500/week, the housing in Vol Hall*, weekday bus transportation to ORNL if needed, and up to $500 for a travel grant if you choose to present your research at a discipline-specific conference within the following two semesters after your internship. Upon the completion of your internship, you are required submit a poster and present your research at Discovery Day in the fall.
*Housing in Vol Hall is available to students who do not already have local housing arrangements for the summer. There is no cash payment for students with their own arrangements.
- Already have an active ORNL HERE application
- Be 18 years or older
- Be a rising sophomore, junior or senior at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville
- Be a U.S. citizen or Legal Permanent Resident*
- Have a 3.0 or higher GPA at the time of your application
- Be available for the entirety of the internship from June to August
- Agree to present at Discovery Day in the fall
*There is a possibility, based on project availability, that students on an F1 visa can participate, but we cannot guarantee a placement can be found. If you are not a U.S. Citizen or LPR, please contact our office at firstname.lastname@example.org before completing an application.
How to Apply
In addition to a complete application, materials include:
- An unofficial copy of your current transcript
- A description of previous research experience (if any)
- A description of your goals and research interests
- An updated resume
- One academic or professional recommendation (contact information)
Applications will be reviewed by Oak Ridge Institute for Science and Education (ORISE)
Ready to Apply? Apply here.
Need more information?
Contact the Office of Undergraduate Research at email@example.com or 865-974-8560